The following is an excerpted message from Jim Strickland, founder of ASCEND, on the Marysville ASCEND Mailing List. It is reposted here with permission from the author.
I am constantly thinking about how best to describe what ASCEND is all about. Here is an example of what I want students to be able to say about school:
School is a place where…
- I do things that make sense, are worth doing, and that mean something to me.
- I find inspiration and support to be my best self.
- I have positive connections with other people who care about me.
- I am challenged to question, to think deeply, and to act boldly.
- I belong and I help others to belong.
- I have a voice and I help others to have a voice.
- I am in charge of my own learning.
- I have freedom to create.
- Difference is respected and valued.
- I build strong connections with my community and my world.
- I am part of something amazing that is bigger than myself.
- I am living my future right now.