The following is a message from Jim Strickland, founder of ASCEND, on the Marysville ASCEND Mailing List. It is reposted here with permission from the author.
I ran across this today in Dennis Littky’s The Big Picture:
Over the course of three decades watching kids walk into my schools, I have decided that I want them to
- be lifelong learners
- be passionate
- be ready to take risks
- be able to problem-solve and think critically
- be able to look at things differently
- be able to work independently and with others
- be creative
- care and want to give back to their community
- have integrity and self-respect
- have moral courage
- be able to use the world around them well
- speak well, write well, read well, and work well with numbers
- truly enjoy their life and their work
To me, these are the real goals of education.
Which of these goals are we promoting in our schools and classrooms Which are we neglecting?